Symbolism
of the
Southwark
Diocesan
Logo

 

Canterbury Cross
AD 850
discovered 1867
in Canterbury
  

Becket Coat of Arms

 

New logo for the Southwark Diocese

 

 

The Archbishop has approved this design as a logo for the Diocese. It incorporates symbols which represent the patrons of Southwark.

The principal patron of our diocese is Our Lady, conceived without sin. She is represented in the upper segment by a silver fleur de lys on a blue background. Both the fleur de lys and blue are symbols traditionally associated with Our Lady.

The lower left segment represents Saint Thomas Becket. It shows three Cornish choughs (birds of the crow family), as seen on the crest of St Thomas Becket.

The lower right segment represents Saint Augustine of Canterbury. The Augustine cross, has been associated with Canterbury since at least 850AD. It was there that St Augustine was bishop in the early years of the seventh century.

Above the shield is a bishop's mitre with its two lappets. There are three metropolitan crosses, indicating that Southwark is a Metropolitan Archdiocese - the province includes Southwark, Arundel and Brighton, Portsmouth and Plymouth.

The colouring has its own symbolism. The blue upper segment with its wavy line refers to the waters which form a major part of the diocesan boundaries - the Thames and the Kent coast. The right lower segment is green, symbolising Kent, and the left lower segment is yellow, symbolising London.