The Diocesan Chancery is located at
150 St George's Road,
London, SE1 6HX
and is open from 9.00am – 6.00pm Monday to Friday.
A great deal of the work of the Chancery is the processing of
marriage papers, worldwide, for couples where the Catholic party,
at least, is resident within the Archdiocese of Southwark (i.e.
The London boroughs south of the Thames and the county of Kent).
The aim is to help and assist both clergy and couples in what can be the quite complex preparation of marriage documentation. Paperwork is sent to the Chancery from the parishes; it is processed, recorded, and then forwarded to the parish/diocese of marriage.
The Chancery deals with queries by post, telephone, fax and email from clergy, parishioners and the general public, with regard to marriage, baptism and confirmation documentation and many general Curial enquiries
An average day in the Chancery would include:
• Preparation and dispatching of marriage documents to dioceses all over the world;
• Preparation of decrees granting permissions for marriages which involve a permission or a dispensation;
Download the Pre-Nuptial enquiry form
Download the Application
for dispensation from the Canonical
form of Marriage form
• Issuing of permissions to receive adults into Full Communion with the Catholic Church;
Download the Initial Inquiry form
Application for admission into full Communion
with the Catholic Church
• Granting of diocesan faculties for priests and deacons who minister in the diocese;
• Preparing Pastoral Statistics for the Holy See;
• Processing of applications and appointments for overseas clergy;
• Coordination of the Commissioning Days for Extra Ordinary Ministers of the Eucharist in the diocese held 3 times a year;
Download the application form for Commissioning of
Extra-ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
• Drawing up and issuing of all documents and official acts in the name of the Archbishop and on his behalf;
• All administrative acts which require the mandate of the Archbishop.
The Archbishop's official seal is kept within the Chancery.
The Chancellor: The Reverend Monsignor Matthew Dickens
The Vice-Chancellor: The Reverend Father Philip Glandfield
Chancery Administrator: The Reverend Deacon Michael Kennedy
Secretary: Mrs Mary Doolan
Tel: 020 7928 5592
Fax: 020 7401 7383