Patrick Lynch was born on 27th April 1947 in Cork City, Ireland. He started his primary education in Presentation Convent, Killarney and completed it in St. Fintan's, High school Sutton, Co Dublin. He began his secondary education in St. Fintan's but completed the leaving certificate in Christian Brothers College, Cork in 1964.
On leaving secondary school he entered the novitiate of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary in Cootehill, Co. Cavan and made a profession of temporary vows in August 1965.
He studied Philosophy and theology in the United States at the seminary run by the order. He graduated with an M.A. in theology from Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. in 1971. A short period teaching followed in the United States after which he returned to Ireland to be ordained a priest in July 1972.
Following completion of a diploma in social studies from the Richmond fellowship he was assigned to work in the parish of All Souls, Peterborough where he remained for two years. His next move was to the parish of Our Lady and St. Augustine, Daventry, Northants in the diocese of Northampton. He served there for nine years first as assistant priest and then as parish priest. It was at this time he became involved as a team priest in the 'Engaged Encounter Movement'.
In 1984 he was transferred to London as director of the formation house of the order in London. During his time as formation Director he completed a Masters degree in theology at Heythrop College. In I987 he was appointed parish priest of Our Lady of Lourdes in Acton in the Archdiocese of Westminster where he served for two years as Vicar for Religious for the West Area of the Diocese. During this time he was one of a number of people instrumental in setting up 'Emmaus House' - Acton Homeless Concern - a parish based project for homeless people.
In 1992 he was elected provincial of the Irish -English province of the Congregation. In the course of his six years as provincial he came in contact with the international dimension of the Congregation in Europe, Asia, Latin America and Africa.
He completed his term as provincial in 1998 and came to the Archdiocese of Southwark to the parish of St. Thomas the Apostle, Nunhead soon afterwards. His ministry and involvement there with many different migrant communities led to his appointment to the mission commission of the Congregation in the year 2000. Since 2000 he has served as Episcopal Vicar for religious within the Archdiocese. In 2003 he was appointed parish priest of St.Chad's South Norwood.
He was ordained by Archbishop Kevin McDonald on 14th February 2006.
Bishop Patrick Lynch SS CC has responsibility for the South East pastoral area of the Diocese which comprises the Deaneries of BEXLEY, BROMLEY, CAMBERWELL, GREENWICH, LAMBETH and LEWISHAM.
6a Cresswell Park
Telephone: 020 8297 9219
Paul Hendricks was born in Beckenham, Kent on 18th March, 1956, the first of four children. He grew up in Orpington, Kent and attended Holy Innocents Primary School and St Mary's Grammar School, Sidcup, Kent. On leaving school he went up to Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 1974 and was awarded a degree in Physics in 1977.
He worked for two years at the GEC Hirst Research Centre, Wembley before going to study for the priesthood at the English College, Rome, from 1979 to 1985.He obtained a Licence in Philosophy from the Gregorian University, Rome.
Ordained deacon at Palazzola, by Bishop Cyril Restieaux in 1983, he was ordained priest at Holy Innocents, Orpington, by Archbishop Michael Bowen in 1984.His first appointment, in1985, as assistant priest was to St Boniface, Tooting. In 1989 he was appointed Philosophy Lecturer and Bursar at St John's Seminary, Wonersh.
His next appointment was as parish priest of Our Lady of Sorrows, Peckham, in 1999 following the departure of the Capuchins. He also serves on the Diocesan Finance Committee and is the Diocesan Advisor on New Religious Movements and Cults.
He was ordained by Archbishop Kevin McDonald on 14th February 2006.
Bishop Paul Hendricks has responsibility for the South West pastoral area of the Diocese which comprises the Deaneries of BALHAM, CATHEDRAL, CROYDON, KINGSTON, MERTON, MORTLAKE and SUTTON.
95 Carshalton Road
Telephone: 020 8643 8007
Mobile: 07812 583448
The Right Reverend John Hine Ph.L., V.G. was born at Tunbridge Wells on 26th July 1938. He was ordained priest 28th October 1962 and ordained Bishop of the Titular See of Beverley and Auxiliary in Southwark by Archbishop Bowen on 27th February 2001. Having reached the age of 75 Bishop John has submitted his resignation from office to Pope Francis. He has now relinquished his responsibilities for the Kent Pastoral Area of the Diocese, and is now Parish Priest of St Andrew’s, Tenterden.
In 2014 Archbishop Peter appointed Fr Paul Mason to the new position of Episcopal Vicar for Kent, and he took over Bishop John's responsibilities for the Kent Pastoral Area of the Diocese which comprises the Deaneries of CANTERBURY, CHATHAM, DOVER, GRAVESEND, MAIDSTONE, THANET and TUNBRIDGE WELLS.
On the 23rd April 2016 it was announced that Pope Francis appointed
Fr Paul Mason as an Auxiliary Bishop in Southwark. His Episcopal Ordination will take place on Tuesday 31st May 2016 at midday, at St George's Cathedral Southwark.
Bishop elect Paul Mason can be contacted at:
Telephone: 01732 845486
Fax: 01732 847888
Paul Mason was born in North Shields, Tyne & Wear
on 6th November, 1962, one of three children. He attended, and was
baptised and confirmed in, the Parish of Our Lady & St. Edmunds,
Backworth, Tyne & Wear. He attended St. Anselm’s Roman Catholic High School,
North Shields, and then Kings College, London. He then worked in Turin for Olivetti, and later moved to London to work for Hewlett-Packard until September 1992.
He was in formation for the priesthoo at the Venerable English College, Rome, was ordained deacon at Palazzola, by Bishop (later Cardinal) Cormac Muphy-O'Connor in 1997, and was ordained to the priesthood on
25th July 1998, in his home parish of Our Lady & St. Edmunds, Backworth, by Archbishop Michael Bowen.
His first appointment, in 1998, was as assistant priest was to the parish of Saint John the Baptist, Purley. In 2001 he became a full time Hospital Chaplain to St. Thomas’ & Guys Hospital Trust. He remained in the role until 2012 when he became Pastoral Director, Allen Hall Seminary, at the same time taking on the role of Director of Southwark Ongoing Formation. In 2014 he left Allen Hall, to take up the new post of Episcopal Vicar in Kent, following the move of Bishop John Hine to Tenterden Parish.
On the 23rd April 2016 he was named as Auxiliary Bishop of Southwark by Pope Francis, with the Titular See of Skàlholt.
Archbishop Kevin McDonald was installed as Archbishop of Southwark
on the feast of the Immaculate Conception, the patronal feast of the Archdiocese,
8th December 2003. His resignation on medical grounds was accepted by the
Holy Father on 4th December 2009.
Archbishop Kevin McDonald was born in Stoke-on-Trent on 18th August 1947. He went to school in Stoke-on-Trent, attending St Joseph's, the Christian Brothers' Grammar School from 1958-1965. He read Latin at Birmingham University from 1965-1968.
In 1968 he was accepted as a student for the Archdiocese of Birmingham and went to the English College in Rome from 1968-1975. He was ordained priest in 1974 and completed his licentiate in Moral Theology in 1975. His first appointment was to All Saints, Stourbridge, in Worcestershire. From 1976 until 1985 he taught Moral Theology at Oscott. From 1985 until 1993, he worked as an official at the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity in Rome, where he had special responsibility for Anglican and Catholic relations. During that time he also completed a doctorate. In 1993 he returned to England and was parish priest of English Martyrs, Sparkhill from 1993-1998. Sparkhill is an area of Birmingham with a large Muslim population and it was there that Monsignor McDonald developed his interest in inter-religious dialogue. From 1998-2001 Monsignor McDonald was Rector of Oscott College and he was ordained Bishop of Northampton on 2nd May 2001. He is chairman of the Bishops' Conference Committee for Other Faiths and of the Committee for Catholic-Jewish relations.
The Archbishop is a keen football supporter, loves music, enjoys walking and holidays in France and Italy. He has an elder brother and sister and two younger brothers. He has nine nephews and nieces and three great-nephews.
For the Pastoral Letters of the Most Reverend Kevin
Archbishop Emeritus of Southwark, please click here
For other homilies and writings of Archbishop Kevin McDonald
please click here
The Most Reverend Michael G. Bowen, S.T.L., Ph.L. Archbishop of Southwark
was born in Gibraltar on the 23rd April 1930. He was ordained Priest
on the 6th July 1958 and Ordained Titular Bishop of Lamsorti on the 27th June 1970.
He succeeded to the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton 14th March 1971.
He succeeded to the Archdiocese of Southwark on the 23rd April 1977.
The Holy Father accepted his resignation from office on 6th November 2003.
The Right Reverend Howard George Tripp was born at Croydon, Surrey on 3rd July 1927. He attended the John Fisher School, Purley. He was ordained Priest on 31st May 1953 and ordained Bishop of the Titular See of Newport and Auxiliary in Southwark by Archbishop Bowen on 30th January 1980.